If the GCoMM 2020 event is cancelled or you are unable/unwilling to travel to GCoMM because of the Coronavirus outbreak, GCoMM will refund back to your credit card 100% of your paid registration fees. GCoMM is not able to reimburse any transportation costs due to cancelling the event so we strongly encourage you to purchase flight cancellation insurance when you buy your airfare to Dallas.
Any notification concerning event cancellation will be posted no later than May 14, 2020.
Yes. A limited amount of funding is available for participants who may need help in order to attend. For an application click here to find the file on our resources page.
When you register for the conference, you will see at the end of the process the opportunity to register another person. You will repeat the process for each person you are registering and then pay for everyone in your group at once.
Yes! Exhibit booths cost $100 (paid for at the time you register) and come as either 6 foot or 8 foot tables (your choice). They will all be in a large meeting room where everyone congregates for snacks at each break. You are welcome to display/sell/give away your materials as you wish. Please make sure you make your table signage clear so that people understand what is for sale and what is display sample. You are responsible for your table’s safety/security, so if you wish to leave a can for people to self-pay for materials, it is your responsibility to safeguard that. The room will be locked at night. All exhibitors must register for the event. We will send to all exhibitors instructions for pre-mailing materials to GCoMM, when to setup, etc.
During the registration process you will be given the opportunity to identify yourself as someone seeking a roommate or else provide the name of a person you wish to room with. There is no provision on the DBU campus for couples to share a room because all available housing on campus is in men’s dorms and women’s dorms.
You have several choices for housing and will be asked to identify your choice when you register:
1. Stay on the DBU campus in the men’s or women’s dorm with a same gender roommate; there is no provision for couples to room together. The rooms share a bathroom at the end of the hall and you will need to bring your own towel, soap, and other toiletries. The beds are XL twin size beds. Pillows and bed linens are provided. When you register, you may purchase on campus accommodation on a first come, first served basis. We strongly recommend you register early if you want this option.
2. Stay at a local hotel. We have contracted with several nearby hotels for discounted rates. When you register, check the provided box if you wish to take advantage of discounted rates at a nearby hotel and get our help finding a roommate to share costs. No transportation is provided from hotels to the conference or from hotels to airports but we can help you find a conference attendee to commute with, if you ask for support when you register. Rooms are available for about $70 and up/night (to be divided with your roommate). See the FAQ “Recommended hotels” for more information.
3. Stay in dormitory-style housing available nearby on the International Linguistics Center campus. All bed linens and bathroom toiletries are provided. Unfortunately, this option can only be selected on a waiting list basis. We will learn in mid-May how many rooms are available, so when you register for GCoMM, check the box that puts you on a waiting list. A limited number of these rooms may become available on a first come, first served basis, so we strongly recommend you register early but also know that this option is not guaranteed. Strategy: You will pay for your housing directly to the ILC housing office (not through GCoMM registration) $35/night for a shared room with a roommate. This housing is available throughout the event (a potential option for those coming early to GCoMM)
On campus accommodations at Dallas Baptist University (DBU) are available only from Monday through Thursday night (July 20-23) with checkout on Friday morning. If you come to Dallas before Monday, July 20th or stay overnight after Thursday, July 23rd, you will need to arrange your own housing away from the DBU campus.
You may sign up for one of two meal plans for the conference when you register.
1. All meals—breakfast, lunch, and dinner (10 meals) beginning with dinner on Monday evening and ending with dinner on Thursday evening (10 meals in all). If you are staying in Dallas Baptist University (DBU) on campus housing, your breakfasts are included with your accommodation fee.
2. Lunches and dinners only (7 meals) beginning on Monday evening dinner and ending on Thursday evening.
3. In addition, there is a burger place and a Chick-fil-a restaurant on campus (not open for breakfast) that can be used. Note that no breakfast will be served at DBU on Friday morning.
Dallas Baptist University housing and meals are only available Monday night through Thursday night (July 20-23). If you are attending a pre-GCoMM or post-GCoMM event, you will have to seek accommodation and meals away from the campus.
Contact: Cory Cummins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you have to cancel your registration, you may do so up until June 30, 2020. Without exception, there is no refund after that date. In the event a presenter must cancel, there is no refund option regardless of date. Up until June 30, refunds will be given for all expenses less a $25 administration fee.
There are two major airports in Dallas: Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Dallas Love Field (DAL). Both airports are about the same distance from the conference. If you intend to attend the entire GCoMM event, plan your travel to allow two hours from when you land until when you arrive at the conference. Likewise, allow two hours from when you leave the conference until when you arrive at your flight departure gate. Note that no breakfast is served on the DBU campus on Friday morning, July 24th so if you are departing from the campus on Friday morning, you may want to plan your travel with eating breakfast at the airport in mind.
Since the conference starts with dinner at 5:00 PM on Monday, July 20th and since you will need to pick up your registration materials first, you should plan your flight to land in Dallas no later than Monday, July 20th at 3:00 PM. GCoMM ends on Thursday night after the evening plenary session so your best flight out of Dallas should be no sooner than Thursday, July 23rd at 11 PM. Likewise, for those staying for the Post-GCoMM GEN gathering, since that event ends at 12:30 PM on Friday, July 24th, plan to depart Dallas (wheels up) no sooner than 2:30 PM. That will allow you time for travel, drop off your rental car, go through security, and arrive at your gate with 15-30 minutes to spare.
Transportation to and from the conference is available from several taxi services. If you are staying on campus for your housing or in a private home, you may benefit from the following taxi services just to get to and from the conference and airport. Lyft and Uber both cost in the mid-$20 range; Supershuttle costs mid-$30-40s. Lyft (https://www.lyft.com/signup) to get the app onto your phone to reserve a ride. Uber (https://get.uber.com/) to get the app onto your phone to reserve a ride. SuperShuttle phone (972) 615-2410 to summon a ride. Want to ride share? Go to GCoMM Airport Transportation Survey to take an online survey that will allow you to network with other conference attendees. You’ll save a lot by coordinating your travel to and from the airport.
If you are staying in a local hotel, it is your responsibility to arrange your own transportation to/from the GCoMM conference. Those staying in a hotel will probably do best to rent a car for the duration of this event. For a good price comparison of rental cars go to (https://www.orbitz.com/Cars). Alternately, using either Uber or Lyft from nearby costs $3-10/ride (less when you share the ride).
Discounted rooms are available through the following hotels. If you want the GCoMM conference discount, you should tell GCoMM. We will forward to these hotels all the names of attendees. If you want us to coordinate finding you a same gender roommate, we will add you to a spreadsheet for that purpose. Note your request for assistance as you register. You will then contact the GCoMM associated hotels of your choice to register. Click here for a list of hotels, contact information, distances to Dallas Baptist University and rates.
Bill_Harris@diu.edu for all other conference logistical questions
Click on a question to view the answer. Still have questions? Visit the contact us page to send us a message.